On Tuesday January 12, 2010 at 4:53 P.M. local time the island nation of Haiti suffered a magnitude 7.0 earthquake. The earthquake was centered approximately 16 miles from the capital, Port-au-Prince, and caused widespread devastation. As of January 23, 2010 the Haitian government confirmed a death toll in excess of 110,000 people.
More information about the earthquake itself is available from the Haiti Earthquake Wikipedia article.
Getting Help and/or Information
Here are some links to help for Haitians living in the Boston-area and information about family members and friends in Haiti:
- City of Boston response to Haitian Crisis
- City of Boston Haiti Relief Efforts
- CNN.com Impact
- CNN.com Haiti Missing
How You Can Help
Here are some links for those of you who want to help the Haitian earthquake victims:
- Emmanuel Gospel Center Haiti Emergency Relief Fund
- Nazarene Compassionate Ministries
- Partners In Health: Stand With Haiti
- City of Boston Haitian Family Relief Fund
We will be updating this information over the coming weeks.